Visit the Houses, Palaces and Convents of Seville

The Seville Palace Houses and convents are buildings full of art and are testimony to a time when Seville was a great center of attraction for the most prominent artists.


14 palacios de Sevilla que debes conocer

Below we propose some options to discover a more unknown part of the city but no less beautiful.



The history of the building dates back to the 16th century when Baltasar Jaén built his private residence in the latest fashion, with Carrara marble columns imported from Genoa for the patio, brightly colored tiles for baseboards, ceilings and floors, and Mudejar plasterwork of Renaissance inspiration. for the arches and moldings of the patio. The best Renaissance was combined with Gothic and Mudejar in a harmony of styles unique in the world.



The “Casa de Pilatos” is a combination of Italian Renaissance and Spanish Mudejar styles. It is considered a prototype of an Andalusian palace. Its construction dates back to the end of the 15th century when Pedro Enríquez and Catalina de Ribera adapted several houses that were in the area to build their palace. However, it was his son, Fadrique Enríquez de Ribera, who gave it the appearance we know today, alternating the Gothic-Mudejar style with the Renaissance from Italy. The popular name of the palace-house comes from the similarity of the layout between the house of Pontius Pilate and Golgotha in Jerusalem and between the Sevillian palace and what is known as Cruz del Campo. According to tradition, the distance between both points coincides, so a via crucis was established that started from the House to the Cruz del Campo.



The “Casa de los Pinelo” is a Renaissance building, located in the historic center of Seville. This building is a palace-house of medieval origin that was later enriched with different Renaissance elements. The construction process was started at the beginning of the 16th century by the canon of the Seville Cathedral Jerónimo Pinelo, son of the merchant of Genoese origin and Factor of the Casa de Contratación de Indias Francisco Pinelo. After the death of Jerónimo Pinelo, the house was donated in the second half of the 16th century to the Cathedral Chapter, which owned it for several centuries and used it as a home for the clergy, until the publication of the confiscation decree of 1855. It is currently the headquarters of the Sevillian Royal Academy of Good Letters and the Academy of Fine Arts of Saint Elizabeth of Hungary.



It began to be built as a manor house in the style of the 15th century, the façade is in the Sevillian style made in the same century, between the 18th and 20th centuries it was remodeled and expanded. Originally this house belonged to the Paiba family, later it was property of the counts of Corbos and the counts of Miraflores. In 1901 it became the property of Regla Manjón Mergelina (Countess of Lebrija) who restored and conditioned it to house her valuable collection of antiques. As a passionate lover of archeology, she decided to decorate it with pieces that appeared on land she owned, as well as other collections that they bought from antique dealers who were friends of theirs.



The Las Dueñas palace was founded by the Pineda family, who had to sell it in 1484 to Catalina de Ribera due to pressing needs for money: they had to pay a ransom for Don Juan de Pineda, taken prisoner by the Moors. The property became the property of the House of Alba after the marriage of the IV Marchioness of Villanueva del Río, Antonia Enríquez de Ribera Portocarrero. Its name is due to the monastery of Santa María de las Dueñas, which in 1248 was known as Compañía de Dueñas and whose nuns were in charge of providing service to queens and wives of the kings of Castile San Fernando and Alfonso X the Wise.



A good opportunity to discover one of the great noble palaces of Seville, located in the heart of Calle Feria, along with the interesting exhibition on Mudejar art housed in its museum.



Santa Ángela de la Cruz (1846-1933), a very beloved saint, especially in Seville and Andalusia, was founder in 1875 of the religious Congregation Sisters of the Company of the Cross of Seville, of great social work. The Saint would be canonized by John Paul II on November 5, 1982, and proclaimed Saint on May 4, 2003. Her body is located in the Mother House of the Congregation, which can be visited. To visit the convent go in the morning from 9:00 am to 1:30 pm. or in the afternoon (you can only visit Santa Ángela), from 4:30 pm to 6:30 pm.



Opening hours: weekdays: 7:15 a.m. Holidays: 9:30 a.m. Located on San Ildefonso Street. In this convent the famous Yemas of this Sevillian saint who appears on the coat of arms of our Town Hall are sold. The founding of the convent dates back to 1295. It belongs to the Order of Augustinian Hermits, its construction begins in 1369, under the reign of Pedro I. The Main Altarpiece dates back to 1745, in the Rococo style. In the Epistle, two jewels of baroque altarpieces and imagery stand out, contracted to Juan Martínez Montañés and completed in 1632.



Opening hours and services: After consulting the Archbishopric. Visiting hours to the Torre de Don Fabrique: Monday to Friday: at 11:00 a.m. and closed at 5:30 p.m. Saturdays, Sundays and holidays. The Church of this beautiful convent has works by Martínez Montañés on its altar. In its gardens is the beautiful Don Fadrique Tower, a valuable example of the transition from Romanesque to Gothic. There is a curious tradition related to it, young Sevillian women bring eggs to the convent the day before getting married in the expectation that the nuns will pray that it does not rain on their wedding day. It has been transformed into the Espacio Santa Clara, a cultural center, a place for artistic or historical exhibitions, conferences and which hosts the Seville Flamenco Biennial and the Seville Early Music Festival (FEMÁS).



Opening hours and services: weekdays: 7:30 a.m. Holidays: 7:00 p.m. Located on Doña María Coronel Street, where the Clarisas Franciscan Sisters live. The temple is in the Gothic-Mudejar style, it was built in the second half of the 14th century. The sisters, in other chores, make their famous Bollitos de Santa Inés.



Open from Tuesday to Sunday from 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. and from 4:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. Monday closed. Through a portico from the 17th century. XVI you enter a garden area where you can admire an impressive doorway from 1504 with valuable ceramic ornaments, sculptures and a Plateresque finish. Of great interest are its Mudejar cloister, the convent museum and the typical sweets made by the nuns. It was the first monastery in Seville declared a Historic-Artistic Monument, it was also the first to create a museum located in the highest rooms.


Last Posts

50th Anniversary Hotel Bécquer

The Hotel Bécquer, one of Seville’s most emblematic hotels, celebrates its 50th anniversary with a series of solidarity activities and reflections on its history and

Read more »

Hotel Bécquer Sevilla

Reserva tu estancia con nosotros

Ventajas de reservar en la web oficial

Ventajas de reservar en la web

Best Price Guaranteed

Free Minibar

No Management Fees

15% discount club

Mejor precio Online

15% de descuento club

Minibar Gratuito

Hotel Bécquer Sevilla

Book your stay with us

Advantages of booking on the official website

Advantages of booking on the website

Best Price Guaranteed

Free Minibar

No Management Fees

15% discount club

Welcome drink

Best price guaranteed

15% discount club

Free Minibar